With gender reveal parties becoming more and more popular, you may find yourself asking – do you bring a gift to a gender reveal party? If you have found yourself asking this question, it is important to note that you are not alone.
Although gender reveal parties have spiked in popularity recently, they are still a relatively new idea. This means that several people are unaware of gender reveal party etiquette.
You can use this post to quickly learn about gender reveal parties and the proper etiquette to go along with them.
What is a gender reveal party?
A gender reveal party is simply a party thrown to reveal the sex of an expectant baby. They are typically hosted by the couple who is expecting and are generally very casual gatherings.
You can expect the party to be comparable to a backyard barbeque or cookout, and not a formal event.
What happens at a gender reveal party?
Although each gender reveal party will be unique and a reflection of the parent’s styles and personality, there will of course be several formalities and activities that you can expect to find at gender reveal parties across the board.
Typically, guests will play some type of game to guess the gender. The decorations will feature both pink and blue items, and there may even be a name reveal after the baby’s sex is revealed as well.
When is the best time to have a gender reveal party?
You will typically find that gender reveal parties are spaced out from the baby shower so that the two events are not close together. Most of the time baby showers happen in the third trimester, so a gender reveal party may be something that is held during the first or second trimester of pregnancy.
The expecting couple will of course need to wait until they have found out the gender of the baby by either ultrasound or blood test. The earliest time to find out your baby’s gender is around 10-12 weeks from a blood test. It may take a few weeks longer to find out the gender via ultrasound, but most parents are informed at their 20 week anatomy scan.
Creative ways to reveal the gender of your baby
Since the reveal of the baby’s sex is the main reason for the party, and the biggest attraction, most couples will choose to get really creative with the reveal.
Here are a few creative ways to reveal the gender:
- Cake pops or cupcakes – By having all the guests take a bite at the same time to reveal blue or pink icing inside, everyone can participate in the reveal. Plus it doubles as a desert!
- Paint – If you are willing to get a little messy, this gender reveal choice is the perfect one! Grab a few cans and fill with the color of choice and have chosen guests throw on you to reveal the gender.
- Balloons in a Box– If you have a large old box, go ahead and decorate it, fill it with balloons (or have someone else do it), and open it up to reveal the big surprise!
- Gender Reveal Water Bottles – Give each guest a mystery packet to pour into their water to reveal your baby’s gender in a fun and refreshing way!
For even more ideas, check out this post.
Do you bring a gift to a gender reveal party?
Gifts for gender reveal parties are not required at all, and most couples will be sure to let you know this when inviting. Gifts will, however, always be welcomed and appreciated. Plus, who doesn’t love spoiling new parents and little babies with gifts?
If you are unsure what to get, since you still don’t know the gender of the baby, you can focus on the mom herself or choose more practical gifts like diapers and wipes.
Best gifts for gender reveal party
The best gifts for gender reveal parties are the gifts that focus on the parents and not so much on the baby. The expecting couple will have plenty of time to get more gifts for the baby from the baby shower and from friends and family once the gender is actually revealed.
You don’t need to bring gender-neutral gifts or clothing since the parents will be better off getting more gender-specific items once the baby’s gender is revealed.
What to bring for a gender reveal party:
- Mom’s cravings– when in doubt, mom’s cravings will always be the biggest hit of the party. Mom will appreciate the gesture, and dad will appreciate not having to run to the store for the thousandth time to pick up mom’s latest craving.
- Mom and Dad items – you can get shirts/hats, jewelry, wine glasses/beer mugs, coffee mugs, spa baskets, or relaxation items such as essential oils or lotions.
- Pregnancy journal – this gift will be one that the expectant parents will cherish for years to come.
- Maternity photoshoot gift certificate – this gift is not only practical it will also be treasured for years, and something that the parents will appreciate fully.
- Pregnancy books – parent’s could use all the help they can get, and a pregnancy book such as “What to Expect When You’re Expecting” is a perfect choice.
- Letter to baby book – you can delight mom and dad with a beautiful book to fill with letters for baby that he/she can read when they are older.
- Diapers – diapers are always needed, always.
- Wipes – same as diapers, the expecting parents will never turn down wipes.
Will the parents be surprised or just the guests?
This depends on the expecting parents. Many parents choose to be surprised at their gender reveal parties and this is an easy way to build excitement for everyone involved.
In order for this to happen the expecting parents may choose a close friend or family member to organize the party, or arrange for them to pick up the revealing item. Parents may also choose to learn the gender ahead of time and simply surprise their guests at the reveal.
New babies in the family are an exciting time no matter how we choose to celebrate them. If you find yourself invited to your friend or family’s gender reveal party you have been invited to celebrate their baby with them.
Now that you know what to bring for a gender reveal party, you can be prepared to have a great time and enjoy the celebration!